Monday, August 25, 2008

An interesting day with the fam


This is our Mama, Susana. We are in a town called Ibarra. I´ll tell more about this town and this day at the end. . . .


This is me and our Mama and Papa (Papa is Marco) eating empanadas.
Still to come. . .the story of this day.


Ummm ya, this is what KFC looks like in Ecuador (fried chicken, rice, and lentils, oh and a tiny bit of lettuce) all for $2.29 . . .

Okay so about this day. . .
There is this indegenous town near Quito called Otavalo. On Saturdays there is a huge market where they sell numerous types of scarves, blankets, bags, trincets, etc. We were super excited to go and shop for Shirley´s store. There is a huge variety and everything is really cheap. Our family asked if we would like to spend the day with them and go shopping in Otavalo. Of course we were excited to hang out with them, but also to not have to pay a tour company $40 for the ride, so begins our day. . . (this is an excerpt from an email to my mom. . .)
¨We went on the shopping trip today with our family. Definitely not what we expected. We drove for about 2 hours and stopped by this pretty lake that was TOTALLY overcast, so at least I think it was pretty. Then we went to the leather town, where I bought nothing. There were some cute purses, but nothing super unique or super cheap. So we (you and me) both passed (on purses). Then we went to a town nearby for lunch. . .Marco asked if I watned cuy (guine pig) or chicken, and I said chicken. . . for some reason it took us almost 2 hours in total to find a place to eat. . .oh I have to tell you the place they finally took us to: KFC!! In Ecuador the fried chicken comes with rice and lentils!! We couldn´t belive that we were in South America eating KFC. Then when we finally got to the place that we wanted to go to. . .we were gonna shop for Shirley, for ourselves, for souveniers, ect. . . Marco (our Papa) told us that we had 15 MINUTES. I seriously thought that he was joking!!! Oh no! Jesse said could we please have a little more time, so he gave us 20! We were expecting to have like 2 hours. So I tried to laugh it off, we bought a couple things, and then left. So the trip was not quite what I was expecting...
I don´t think we´re gonna have another chance to go back, but luckily there is a smaller market here in Quito with very similar things that we can go to when we get back from our travels.¨
. . .so that´s a brief recap, but now that I think about the day I totally laugh. We were just sooo shocked that we only had 20 minutes in the market compared to the 8 hours we spent on the day!!

No comments: